Friday, April 11, 2008

Books! Books! and More Books!



Many of my readers may have figured out by now that I'm a bibliophile. I love books, and I collect them by the hundreds. I like the way they look, the way they smell,the way they feel, and more importantly what I can learn from them. Okay, I guess I could go on and on about my passion but I'll spare you all that. However, if you share my obsession, let me know, we'll talk.

The reason that I raise the subject of bibliophilia is because my favorite annual event is about to occur. It is the Westminster Presbyterian Church Annual Book Sale. Now mind you, I have been to many book sales of all kinds. I have run the gamut, from garage sales to church sales to school sales to estate sales... Heck, my idea of a perfect date is to go roaming through a bookstore. I know of what I speak here -the Westminster Book sale is unlike any other and not to be missed. This year marks the 52nd year they have had the sale. The folks who organize this event have it fine-tuned let me tell you. Picture it - row after row of tables piled high with books; books underneath tables, books everywhere. There are books throughout not only the church hall, but also the hallways, and the adjacent rooms. They have every subject covered from fiction to non-fiction. There are children's books, and art books, and religious books and philosophy and first editions. Oop! there I go rambling again... What's more, you can walk out of this sale with a box full of books for a reasonable price. Maybe, it is symptomatic of my disease, but just walking in the building makes my heart pump faster. Adrenalin rushes in and the hunt is on!

I highly recommend that if you're a book lover you attend. Of course,many of my fellow bibliophiles are going to be angry at me for letting the cat out of the bag so to speak. There are among the bibliophiles those who do not want others to find out about this sale for fear that someone else will get there before them. Guess this year we will all be getting to the sale early. The sale is April 23, form 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM and on April 24 and 25th from 9:00 AM until 7:00 PM. Westminster Presbyterian Church is located at 119 Stadium Drive off Market Street in Boardman, OH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! I'm going tomorrow.